Thursday, May 29, 2008

Carmen Sandiego and other sixth grade memories...

Tuesday was the 6th grade vs teacher softball game at Nicole's school. Just watching all of the cute 6th graders made me laugh, they did great but it got me thinking... I thought I was so grown up when I was their age. I vividly remember so much from that year. For your reading enjoyment, here are some of the highlights:
  1. I started wearing make-up--I matched my eye-shadow with my outfit
  2. First boyfriend--he gave me roses, teddy bears, chocolates but we rarely spoke to each other.
  3. Carmen Sandiego and Square One (see movie clips below)
  4. Mrs. Powell--the only teacher that I have somewhat disliked in my 16 years of schooling. She wasn't that bad, but oh the stories I can tell about her.
  5. First pair of Girbaud jeans, Esprit bag, and ENUF sweatshirt--man I was stylin'
  6. I was a brat. a snob. --I lost a lot of my true friends because I chose new, not so good friends. Ugh!
  7. The three-way calling slam--such a mean girl thing to do.... I am so embarrassed to admit that I actually did this.
  8. Year around school--not as bad as I thought it would be.
  9. Young Womens
  10. First public performance with my clarinet
  11. California and Disneyland--first family vacation that we went on. I thought it was funny to watch people in their cars slow down to count how many people were in my family (there were 9 of us)
Sixth grade. Ahhhh....those were the days.


I LOVEd "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego." I so wanted to be a contestant on it. Does anyone else remember this show? In sixth grade, my teacher Mrs. Powell used to have us watch it for Geography. And then for math she would let us watch Square One. Seriously.


To be fair to Mrs. Powell--we did do other things for geography and math...but she had us watch this nearly every day. What 6th grader wouldn't love to spend an hour of school watching t.v.?

5 comments:

Angee said...

I so remember Carmen Sandiego. And eyeshadow - blue especially.

Wait until you actually have a 6th grader playing in the softball game. Then you'll feel old...

doug said...

Hey Gumshoes!

I can't believe someone I went to sixth grade with now has a sixth-grader. WOW!

The loot! The warrant!

I still love telling people that in sixth grade we watched TV on a regular basis as part of our math and geography lessons. :) I also remember when Mrs. Powell was on a rampage because Carmen Sandiego said Rainbow Bridge was in Arizona, not Utah. And I remember when Mrs. Powell told us that Kokomo was an island in the Caribbean, but I corrected her and let her know it was actually a city in Indiana. :)

I also remember that she was my least-favorite teacher ever.

And I also remember that this is like one of my favorite blog posts ever because it brings back so many memories!! Ah, I wish we could go back to sixth grade sometimes!

Debra said...

Ang, blue eye shadow still rocks, although I think I favored GREEN back then.--i know, embarrassing right? :)

Doug, ha ha ha. Your comment made me laugh so much, I'm just so glad that someone can vouch for me on my stories of Mrs. Powell. If I remember right weren't you her favorite pupil? I was so jealous.... :P

oh and I guess I should clarify to all of those readers out there-- my oldest child just finished up her 2nd grade year.
I was just at her school watching the game because Nicole was celebrating her summer b-day that same day.

Anonymous said...

Do you know what's funny? Some people at my work (in BYU International Study Programs--there was a connection) pulled up an old Carmen Sandiego episode on YouTube. The cool thing is how much we were getting into it. We felt so bad for the kid who had to locate Malawi on a map of Africa ...

Anyway, we've decided we'll be having a daily Carmen Sandiego episode at least through the summer, to keep our sweet geography skills sharp :)

Allyson said...

Oh, the memories. Mrs. Powell and her tv lessons. That is what I loved about that class! haha. We didn't learn a thing that year other than she was in charge of the Geography Bee for the state of Utah. Remember when she was on that commercial for KSL and then she brought it in so we could watch it? Oh, and she was one of the first people I remember to have a cell phone. It was like the brick that Zach Morris used to carry around on Saved by the Bell. Am I the only one that remembers that?!?

She was not a good teacher at all, but I love those two shows! And I remember the sixth grade softball game....more like, I distictly remember dreading that day. haha